How to Prayer Walk
(Includes a Prayer Run or Mountain Climb)
To Prayer Walk an area is to put your foot steps in an area, on the streets, or up a mountain while praying for that area.
Jos 1:3 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon that have I given unto you.
The Purpose of a Prayer Walk:
- To physically see the homes, the schools, community centres, or beacons up the mountain, builds your faith to trust God for His changing power. You will also probably see the areas where sin has free reign, where you can stop for a while to pray.
- While walking, the Lord can make you aware of specific things to pray for that are spiritual hindrances in that area.
John 4:35 “Lift up your eyes and look on the fields…”
- To speak the Word of God over the area and to do prophetic actions according to His guidance. The Old Testament prophets often spoke to the mountains, the trees, the heavens and the earth surrounding a nation, when they had a word from God for that nation (Is 1:2, 10, 16-20 & Ezek 36:1-10).
Heb 4:12,13 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…”
What about driving through the area? If you are not able to walk due to circumstances, especially if the area is not safe for walking, this is an option. Yet, with walking you see more detail that you wouldn’t see while driving.
What is a Prophetic Action?
It is something that you do in the physical realm, of what God wants to do in the spiritual realm. To know which actions you should do, and where it should be done, you need ask the Holy Spirit to guide you, for it will only bear fruit if it is done according to His guidance.
Prophetic Action Examples in the Bible:
- Elisha had to shoot an arrow in a certain direction as declaration of how the Syrians would be killed (2 Kings 13).
- Moses had to lift up his rod over the sea and moved his hand. As he then stretched out his hand, the Lord divided the waters, so that the Israelites could go through (Ex 14:15, 16, 21)
- Jesus anointed the blind man’s eyes with clay so that he could see – this was actually a prophetic act of Jesus applying His healing balm to the blind man’s eyes (John 9:6).
Preparation before the Prayer Walk
- Ask the Lord what His plan is for that area. He can give it to you through a picture, through an emotion, through words, or through a specific scripture.
- Ask Him if there is any past sin committed there, which can be a hindrance for His plan to be fulfilled. If He makes you aware of any, ask Him what to do about it. The Lord may link you with someone who represents those who sinned in the area, to join you, to repent on behalf of those who committed the sin, like Daniel who repented on behalf of the nation (Dan 9).
- Ask Him what and where you need to pray, or declare, and what prophetic actions you need to do. Only do what He has given you to do. This is your MANDATE. Be careful not to act in the flesh (acting from your own thoughts or ideas of what it should be) because in doing so you make yourself vulnerable to the Enemy’s attacks. In obedience to God’s mandate, you will receive the authority and protection to move with boldness.
- Ask Him if there is any gift, like food or a Bible, that you should take along with you, to bless the residents or pedestrians along the road.
- Pray for God’s protection over yourself, the group, as well as over the families represented in the group and over all linked businesses, ministries and properties. Repent of any known sin between you and God, to make sure that you give the Devil no foot in the door.
- Scriptures that you can use to pray for protection – Ps 91:1-4 & 2 Sam 22:40
- Scriptures of declaration that you can pray while prayer walking – Jos 1:3 Ps 2:8 Gen 12:3, 7 Jhn 10:10 Is 61:1-3
- While walking, ask God to make you aware of specific needs in the homes or areas for which you can pray; for instance, marriages, loneliness, or poverty.
- Pray and declare God’s revealed plan.
- Repent of any past sins committed in that area.
- Do the prophetic actions according to where you sense it should be done.
- Share the gifts that you brought along.
Finishing the Walk:
- Thank the Lord, and declare who is He is – speak out His attributes.
- Declare where the Enemy is – under your feet. Declare that no powers or links from the Enemy in that area will attach itself to you or to you family/business/ministry.
- Use Communion as a confirmation of the Lord’s protection and blessing over you, and over every word prayed and spoken out – declare that nothing will return to Him void, but will accomplish according to what pleases Him (Is 55:11).